Job: Game Designer (Puppet Master)
The game designer (puppet master) will be asked to assist in designing the game puzzles and mechanics for both new and existing IPs. They will be further tasked to expand the community of our current games and seek to find new communities for future products. They will join the existing creative team, working closely with other game designers and narrative producers, as well as the creative director. The game designer (puppet master)’s daily tasks range from content creation (puzzles and mechanics, general outlines for missions, etc.) to community management and planning. The creative team will meet at least bi-weekly with the rest of the company to discuss production, budgeting and marketing.
- Participate actively in every step of the game development process, including initial game design, provide narrative feedback, to individual player puzzles and missions.
- Research real-world subjects to better understand subjects used in the games.
- Create game design documents in order to express your vision through visual references.
- Create a production timeline and set clear milestones for completion.
- Design sophisticated mechanics and complex puzzles.
- Assist in level design and touchpoint creation when applicable.
- Identify and fix issues that arrive with alpha and beta tests. These bugs can be related to either the in-game client or on one of the many peripheral touchpoints that are integral to Alternate Reality Games (ARGs).
- Create promotional material for release to the public, our community, and journalists.
- Work to grow the community for Alice & Smith’s current and new IPs and manage the community we have already fostered.
- No less than 3 years experience in the Game Design or Transmedia projects.
- Strong portfolio with at least two shipped games.
- Commitment to flexible work-week schedule (including nights and weekends depending on project).
- Good references from past employers.
- Bilingual (French and English).
An ideal candidate will:
- Be ready to work closely with current IPs but also seek to create new games.
- Demonstrate the ability to work well unsupervised, but also be ready to work closely with other members of the team.
- Respect the commitment of all others in the team and be ready to go the extra mile for the good of the group.
- Demonstrate a clear ability to meet multiple projects deadlines at once.
- Show a strong passion for their work.
- Have a clear understanding of every aspect of game development, from pre-production to post launch community management.
- Possess strong organization, planning and time management skills.
- Have experience in Alternate Reality Games and Transmedia storytelling.
- Work with a small, tight knit and committed team.
- Contribute to unique Alternate Reality Game events unlike any other kind of game.
- Have your voice clearly expressed in the final content.
- Highly engaged and positive community.
Please send your cover letter, cv and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.